What started out as a simple project has turned into a real headache. The only one I have to blame is myself, as I seemed to forget the first rule in ham radio. SAFETY! With that said, the installation of the new rigid feeder was simple and straight forward. I was able to attach it, along with the feed line choke with absolutely no problems.
The problems occurred when I got in a rush wanting to get it up in the air so I could work on each band, since my backyard is not really large enough for the antenna. At 20-25′ the antenna is just above the peak of the garage and I can work on it rather easily. Unfortunately, with some wind yesterday and a lack of real preparation on my part the hex took a tumble from the mast, just above the roof line. Thankfully my son and I were not injured and the hex survived the crash back to Earth.
At that point I was frustrated with what had just transpired, so I stopped worked on it and figured I would continue today. Unfortunately, home remodeling called and I was not able to get much time into the hex, but I was able to tie off the spreaders…again! I was able to get the 20M band attached to the feeder and will continue with the work tomorrow in preparation for NAQP RTTY this coming weekend.
I also attended the NCCC meeting last night down in San Jose, which is a bit of a trek for me, but always worth the drive. Some excellent presentations as well as great food! We got to hear about W6YX (Standford University) and their amateur radio club. I know a few of the guys from the club and YX always has a strong signal for me in Oakley. I also met Dennis, W1UE from Massachusetts, who was out west. He discussed his 3 hour sweep in the CQP as well as the YCCC SO2R Box, which he had a hand in developing.
All in all a good few radio days, with any luck the hex will be back up and on the air tomorrow!