What Happens in Vegas…

As mentioned I was headed to Vegas this past weekend for our fantasy football draft that is held at The Palms. Usually it is poolside in our cabana, but this year the start of the draft was pushed back until 5pm due to one owner who had to do pictures with his kid’s sports teams on Saturday and was not able to get in on Friday, like myself. As mentioned, it is usually a 3-day weekend, arriving Friday and departing Sunday morning or early afternoon. This year was the first time I actually stayed the night. Honestly, I had no choice as there were no flights departing at time we would be done.

I was planning on taking an 1045am trip from San Francisco, with a 2 hour layover in Fresno and then on to Vegas, arriving about 415pm. I got lucky when I arrived at the airport and made my way around security [more on that in another post] and to my office. There was a trip leaving in like 15 minutes and there was one seat remaining, which I was given, so I quickly made my way up to the gate and seat my ass down, ready to go. This was cool, because after out minor mechanical delay I got there about 1230pm and was poolside by 115pm.

I took at $25 cab ride to The Palms and called up to the suites where we were staying. No answer, so I headed poolside. As I walk out the door I see my group waiting for their cabana to be made up. I had not even said hello to all the guys and a drink was pushed into my hand. This is sort of how the weekend went. Since I was not really planning on staying, I did not bring a change of clothes or bathing suit. But not to worry, my buddies picked me up with shoes, a shirt and a suit. As mentioned, I was poolside by 115pm at the cabana ordering a Long Island Iced Tea.

for the next 3 hours we lounged around and hung out in the pool. As I told my wife, this is the only time during the year I really get to hang out with guys I grew up with and talk about the past and growing up, along with bullshitting about football and life, in general. The drink flowed through out the early afternoon hours from sweet drinks to Coors Light. This for starters.

A couple of the guys went to check out the blackjack tables, I headed inside for a bit to see if Roulette was worth playing. I guess when no one is at the wheel, not much good is bound to happen. I blew $40 on the slots and quit, went back outside for more sun, pool and beer as we waited for the last owner to arrive.

To be honest, the pool scene is not me. Never has been. But I tell you what, compared to my buddies, I look good! Most of these guys are into their mid-30s like myself, but all have developed a beer belly over the years. Even those [which is most of them] who were athletes! Thankfully my gut was nowhere as “developed” as theirs. So I felt right at home with a bunch of pale white guys with a beer in my hand.

Once the last owner arrived, he was a few drinks behind, so a round of Patron Silver tequila was delivered to the cabana and shots passed out. While he now had one drink in him, it was not long before he had caught up with us and we were ready to draft.

The draft is the main reason we are there. It does make for a great weekend event, but there are more of us with kids and families these days. I think we only have two bachelors in our group at this point. We pulled playing cards to see who would get the top draft and what the remaining order would be. I pulled the 3 card, not bad as it was one of the higher choices I have had recently. The draft itself lasted about 3.5 hours, so we pushed back dinner reservations from 9pm to 930pm at The N9NES Steakhouse.

Now I had heard about “The N9NES” but never did experience it or eat at it. I must say their steak was some of the best I have ever had. I chose a 16 ounce fillet, rare. OMFG! It was tender, juice, the best! No other way to describe it. At that point of the night, I started in on scotch and water after countless drinks and only a half of a cold steak sandwich while poolside. So any food that was put in front of the table was devoured. Unlike those other upscale restaurants, The N9NES was jumping with activity and loud. Too loud for my taste actually. It was mainly the music, but it was bearable. After appetizers, and our meal, which was ala carte and numerous rounds of drink, dinner was over. The damage was close to $900!

It was now time to gamble, hopefully not all the money you brought, away. I am nowhere the high roller these guys are. Hell, I am the same guy who said, “damn a $5 roulette table, thats too much for me.” Haha…so I find it rather funny I took a seat with two buddies at a $15 blackjack table. I find it even funnier that I told my wife I won some money, but then went back and dropped a $50 bet and hit blackjack! That is when I called it a night, about $375 up on Las Vegas. It’s nice to go home, but even nicer when you win money and not loose it to the house.

So that was the trip, all in all a great time being in Vegas, hanging with my buddies, talking shit, drinking, eating and drafting football. Not sure 3 days is in my future when this rolls around next August, the last weekend in the month, but rest assured we will all be looking forward to it. Oh, by the way most of the weekend was comped. I don’t ask questions and don’t want details, but it has something to do with how much money some of the guys spend playing in the casino.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email